If you are new to the world of ACT testing, there are three terms you should know.
Jane Ross Tutoring started in 1979 in Memphis, TN, and we’ve been training high school juniors and seniors to raise their ACT scores ever since.
Here are three ACT terms that not all students and parents are familiar with, but they are important to know as you begin the process of college admissions testing.
2. Test Information Release
• Get back a copy of your answers, the key, and a copy of the test
• Select this option when you register to take the test, or you can go back and ask for it within 3 month of the test date.
• Not every national test date—only December, April, and June.
• Incredibly helpful when trying to improve your score, and if you are working with a tutor, extremely beneficial for the tutor to see
• More information and the form itself is on the ACT website—act.org; remember, the term to look for is Test Information Release.
3. Residual ACT
• Offered by many colleges and universities where you can take the ACT on campus at a time other than the national test date.
• Advantage is often small groups; environment feels different (when I was a senior, I was the only student there taking the test that day)
• Often, the test is scored immediately; you’ll likely know before you leave campus
• It is a real ACT and given under the same time conditions
• Disadvantage is that the score is good at that college only; cannot take your score somewhere else
• After taking a residual ACT, you cannot take another residual ACT for 60 days; but the waiting period does not apply to the ACT taken on a national test date or some other statewide testing
• Typically an option best suited for a senior who has already made the college choice but still wants to raise the ACT score
• For more information, check with the Admissions Office at your college of choice
The ACT is a very predictable test, and this makes it a very coachable test. At Jane Ross Tutoring, we have over 3 decades of experience training thousands and thousands of students to raise their scores. We would love to help you, too. If you are in the Greater Memphis area, check out our workshops at janerosstutoring.com. Another great option is our Online ACT Course, which gives you 6 months of unlimited access to our online instruction, practice quizzes, and more. Learn more about our online resources at janerosstutoring.com/online.
It can be overwhelming to learn everything about the college admissions process. Hopefully these three terms will helping simply things, especially when it comes to the ACT. Remember, Superscore, Test Information Release, and Residual ACT—three important terms that could give you the edge in maximizing your ACT score!